Listening to music can be a fun activity for you and your loved one to participate in together. It can also provide entertainment for your loved one when they are alone.
Music has a powerful impact on people by helping them to recall old memories and improving their happiness and wellbeing. Here are some of the benefits of listening to music.
- A happier outlook on life
- Improved social interaction
- Increased communication in dementia and Alzheimer’s patients
- Reduced tension and anxiety
- Improved overall cognitive abilities
- Diminished pain
- Stimulate movement and exercise
- Listening to music while exercising can help your loved one to maintain their balance
You can encourage your loved one to get involved in music to experience some of these benefits. For example, if they used to play a musical instrument you could suggest they take it up again.
You could also buy them an iPod, CD player or new CDs and show them how to choose the songs they want to listen to.
Ask your loved one what their favourite song was when they were younger and play it for them to bring back some of their good memories. Singing along to the music with your loved one is also a great bonding experience.
Read the full article here.