Christmas can be a very lonely time for some elderly people who live alone or are unable to spend the day with their families.
Visiting a loved one or even an elderly friend can make a huge difference to their day and to their wellbeing.
Here are some tips for visiting your loved one in a nursing home.
• Plan ahead: Nursing homes have specific visiting times and also conduct different activities throughout the day. Before visiting your loved one call the nursing home to find out the best time to visit.
• Bring the family: You should encourage your whole family to visit your loved one at the nursing home. This will help your loved one to feel like they are not missing out on the family celebration.
• Bring photos: You can bring family photos or videos to share with your loved one. This is a great way to engage them in the family’s activities.
• Offer to brush their hair: Your loved one may want to look nice for Christmas but may have difficulty getting ready themselves. You could offer to brush their hair, give them a manicure or help them to get ready.
• Decorate their room: You could bring Christmas decorations to brighten up their room.
• Talk to them: Ask your loved one about stories from their childhood, share old memories, ask about things they love doing or bring their favourite music to listen to.
• Give them a present: Your loved one may appreciate a nice gift or even a Christmas card. Make sure you get them an appropriate gift they can use at the nursing home.
Visiting your loved ones at Christmas or anytime throughout the year is important to show them you care and to brighten their day.