Being a grandparent can be a wonderful experience as you watch a new member of your family grow and develop.
Grandparents also have the opportunity to build a great relationship with their grandkids, provide guidance and pass on their family traditions and stories.
Here are some tips to help you build a great relationship with your grandkids.
• Be clear about your role in their life: Talk to your grandkid’s parents about how involved you want to be in their life. For example, you may offer to babysit once a week or ask to be included in special events or family outings.
• Avoid buying their affection: As a grandparent you don’t always need to shower your grandkids with gifts. Sometimes it’s better to just spend quality time with them and build memories they will treasure.
• Spend time with your grandkids: Make time to spend with your grandkids doing fun activities such as going to the beach, the movies or playing a game. This will give you a chance to bond.
• Share your hobbies: Show your grandkids the hobbies you love and do them together. For example, you could teach them how to knit or take care of the garden.
• Share your family history: Talk to your grandkids about your family history and share your memories, experiences and life story. This will help your grandkids to have a greater knowledge of their family tree and history which they can then pass on to future generations.
• Stay connected with your grandkids: If you live a long distance away from your grandkids find a way to keep in touch with them and be a part of their lives. This may include sending letters, calling on the phone, sending emails or using video calls over the internet.