Your loved one may find it difficult to buy comfortable clothing that fits them properly. If your loved one suffers from arthritis or an injury they may also have difficulty dressing themselves.
You can make their life easier by purchasing them clothing that is easy to put on and is comfortable to wear. You can buy adaptive clothing specially designed for people with restrictive movement, which will make it easier and less painful for your loved one to dress themselves.
If they suffer from dementia they may resist wearing certain types of clothing or have a favourite outfit. You can help them by purchasing multiple sets of their favourite outfit so they always have clean clothes to put on.
Here are some great tips for buying appropriate clothing for your loved one.
• Choose natural fibre and cotton fabrics that breathe
• Choose clothes with elastic waists
• Buy slip on shoes with a non-slip sole
• Stretchy fabrics
• Bras that clip at the front for women with arthritis
• Choose large buttons
• Ensure there is lots of room in sleeves
• Choose fabric that can be washed frequently and in water with temperatures up to 90 degrees if your loved one is in a nursing home
• Choose clothes that don’t have to be ironed
You can help your loved one achieve a greater independence by buying them comfortable clothes that they can easily dress themselves in.